Kementerian Riset Teknologi Dan Pendidikan Tinggi
Republik Indonesia
All activities which are categorized as research activities such as collecting data by using a scientific methodology and tool or equipment conducted by foreign national in Indonesian jurisdiction including in EEZ (Exclusive Eco-nomic Zone.
The Temporary Stay Visa Index 315 (vitas 315) is the only one which is per-mitted for conducting research in Indonesia.
The dependents and family members who will accompany the researcher will receive the Temporary Stay Visa Index 317 (vitas 317).
The maximum stay period either the visa index 315 or index 317 is 12 months. It is extendable for another 12 months 4 times.
They must report to the local immigration office to make a KITAS within 30 calender days since their date of arrival.
They should report to the nearest local immigration office in their research sites. (e.g. The researcher who will conduct research in Sebangau National Park, Cebtral Kalimantan Province, should report to local immigration office in Palangkaraya).
It depends the stay period of the KITAS and type of the KITAS (e-Kitas and non e-Kitas (e.g. non e-KITAS period not more than 6 monrhs, the fee is Rp 450,00.00)
After receiving KITAS and stamp of MERP (Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit) on his passport, the visa will automatically the visa will be valid as multiple en-try visa.
It depends the duration of the MERP (e.g. MERP not more than 6 months period, the fee is Rp 600,000.00)
They must leave the country within 7 calender days after receiving the EPO stamp on their passport
Their immigration status will not be changed to be EPO and consequently if they request the new Temporary Stay Visa, the request will be postponed.
The maximum period of the Research Permit is 12 months. It is extendable maximally for another 12 months for twice
No, It is not. The research permit is applicable for collecting data in general but It is not included for entering the conservation areas, collecting and transferring the samples and specimen.
Yes It is. For entering the conservation areas, the researcher should apply the Permit for entering the conservation areas (SIMAKSI=surat Izin Masuk Kawasan Konservasi)
For collecting of wild life research samples, scientific recommendation issued by Research Center for Biology LIPI as the Scientific Authority and the col-lecting & transporting permits from Secretary of Directorate General of Na-ture Resources and Ecosystem Conservation, Ministry of Environment and Forestry (Sekretaris Ditjen KSDAE, Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup dan Ke-hutanan) are still needed.
He should request the research permit extension at least one month prior to the permit expiration date.
No, It does not. The applicant should sent the soft copy documents by uo loading all the needed documents via on line registration system : http//: or http//:
Within 2 weeks the research permit application will be revied in the meeting by the Coordinating Team for Research Permit Approval and the decision of the meeting will be inform to the applicant as soon as possible after the meeting.
The researcher who holds Letter of Foreign Research Permit from the Minis-try of Research, Technology and Higher Education might apply for research extension. The application should be addressed to Director of Intellectual Property Management not later than 30 days before the expired research permit date, with the following attachment: 1. letter of request for research permit extension and including the the scientific justification why the esearch activity should be extended; 2. recommendation letter from the Indonesian counterpart which support the extension request; 3. a copy of tentative final report.
Ristekdikti strongly recommended to the applicant in order to inform to the Ristekdikti in advance his arrival day in Jakarta so that Ristekdikti could provide all required papers before his arrival date. It is to speed up the process and reduse the waiting time so that when the applicant come to collect the permit and all needed papers, they had been already available.
the permit and all needed papers should be issued and submitted to the ap-plicant less than 24 ours since the fee paid.
It depends the duration of the permit, the position and affiliation or employ-ment of the permit receiver. (eg. Professor from Tokyo University wiho granted 12 months research permit period, should pay research Permit fee Rp 5,000,000.00 and Rp 100,000.00 for Registration fee
Yes there are. There is registration fee Rp 100,000.00 for each person and Rp 1,000,000.00 and recommendation fee for travel documents of the de-pendent and family member
No there are not fee for Research Notification Letter (Surat Pemberitahuan Penelitian= SPP) issued by The Ministry of Home Affairs (Kemdagri) and Traveling Permit (Surat Keterngan Jalan=SKJ) issued by National Police Head Quarters in Jakarta.
For entering one conservation area only, the permit could be obtained direct-ly from the Office of National Park and for entering Nature Reserve (Cagar Alam) or Wildlife sanctuary, the permit could be obtained from The Nature Conservation Institute (Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam=BKSDA). For entering two or more conservation areas, the researcher should apply the permit to Secretary of Directorate General of Nature Resources and Ecosys-tem Conservation, Ministry of Environment and Forestry (Sekretaris Ditjen KSDAE, Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup)
It depends how long the SIMAKSI time period granted, e.g. For SIMAKSI less than 1 month= Rp 5,000,000.00; 1 - 6 months SIMAKSI = Rp 10,000,000.00, 12 months period = Rp 15,000,000.00.
Reporting to Ristekdikti and related government agencies (National Police HQ and Ministry of Home Affairs) is a MUST. Only in special case e.g. research project by using Research Vessel in Indonesian waters, the researchers do not need to report to Ristekdikti and other agencies. In this case, all paper-works could be handled by local counterpart.
The maximum stay duration of the visa index 315 is 12 months and extend-able for another 12 months four times.
The visa authorization telex is valid for two months since the date of authorization
The visa will be valid for 3 months since issued by the Indonesian Repre-sentative (Embassy or Consulate General. It means that if the researcher can not enter Indonesia during three months having the visa received, it will automatically expired.
It is a simple brief statement from the applicant informing explicitly in which Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General he will collect the visa index 315 if his research permit application will be approved. E.g. “Hereby I state that I will collect the visa number 315 at Indonesian Embassy in Tokyo, Japan”
It will be valid as long as the duration of Temporary stay visa index 315 (Vi-tas 315) (e.g. If the researcher received the visa number 315 valid for 12 months period, he will also receive the KITAS valid for 12 months at local immigration office.
It takes around 5 working days
It is an Indonesian legal entities (university and research institute) which will act as Indonesian counterpart for foreign researcher. The competency of the institution should be relevant with the researcher’s field of study. (e.g. Prof. Michael Myer, an Botanist from Kew Botanic Garden UK will conduct research in Indonesia. He should find the Indonesian Botanist from from Research Center ofr Biology LIPI who will act as local counterpart and conduct re-search collaboration with him.
It is a commitment letter from Indonesian university or research institute which will be act as local counterpart for foreign researcher The letter issued by the Indonesian counterpart for the researcher who will conduct research collaboration. The letter should be signed by a Dean of Faculty or Director of Research Center
It is a clearance issued by the Ministry of Defend. It is additional permit be-side research permit for conducting research in Indonesian waters including EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) and the national air space.
All research activities conducted by foreign nationals in Indonesian waters including EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) and the national air space either by using research vessel or aeroplane.
All types of floating vehicles and research equipment utilized for collecting data and research sample in the waters.
He should send it three months after receiving the research permit and every three months since the first report sent.. If the researcher conducts research than three months or less than three months period, he is requested to send the interm report only.
He should send it when he request EPO before leaving the country.
The progress report, must at laest contain the following (1) Research objectives (2) Description of study field (3) Research material or object to be investigated (4) Research approach or methods (5) Provisional results (6) Problems encountered (7) Planned activities in the next three months
The final report, must at least contain the following:
a. Introduction, include:
1. Background information
2. Scientific justification on the selection of subjects and sites to be investigated
3. Review on and comparison with other studies that have been conducted previously on the same subject and or in the same region or else where with similar conditions.
4. Hypotheses to be tested (if any).

b. Objectives, include:
1. Objectives and scope of research have to be described clearly.
2. Local research description in detail covers physically aspects (geography, topography, climatology) as well as Biology, social-economic, cultural, and other aspects which are relevant to scope of research.
3. Reason for selecting the method that being used.

c. Result and Discussion, include:
(a) Description in detail of research result which has been acquired.
(b) Discussion of research result cover its valuation, interpretation and significance, as well as suggestion for subsequent research.
(c) The benefit for Indonesian development program.

d. Conclusion, include:
1. Crucial points which may be encountered from research result.
2. Problem solving of research, encouraging or discouraging of hypotheses stated in the research objectives.